The 2014 NCAA Basketball Tournament certainly had an eventful weekend! 52 games have been played across the country with 5 of them going into overtime. The $1 Billion that Warren Buffet offered to anyone that had a perfect bracket is now a distant memory. Every year there are plenty of surprises and this year has been no different:
- 3 of the 4 teams that were seeded as #12 in their brackets posted wins over teams seeded #5! The one team that lost was beaten by only 3 points in overtime!
- #1 seed and ‘media darling’ Wichita State lost to #8 Kentucky in the 2nd round.
- The 2 longest winning streaks in the country have both come to an abrupt end – Wichita State with 35 and S.F. Austin with 29.
Here are some other mind boggling numbers to take into consideration with the NCAA Tournament:
- The odds of winning Buffet’s $1 Billion prize was 1 in 4,294,967,296!
- It is estimated that Vegas takes in over $100 Million from bets on the NCAA Tournament – experts think this represents only 4% of all the money wagered on games!
- The NCAA tournament costs businesses $1.7 Billion in lost productivity during the month of March.
Our bracket is certainly no different and offers several compelling stories as well.
- #12 seed SNTA (Synta Pharmaceuticals Corp.) posts impressive wins and makes a run all the way the Final Four.
- #10 seed DIS (Walt Disney Company) posts two upsets to become a member of the ‘Sweet 16’.
- MONIF (Monitise PLC) becomes the story of our bracket – emerging from the International Bracket and winning it all.
If you haven’t already take a moment to dig in and read our complete story: March Madness: Final Four Investing Bracket 2014. Our bracket has been reviewed by over 5,000 readers since it was posted last Wednesday!
This has been such a popular investing article over the past few years that we’re doing two new things due to some of the excellent feedback we’ve received:
(1) We’re tracking performance! Using an overall “deposit” of $4,000,000 we have assigned each investment at least $50,000. Depending on how far the investment survived in our bracket we added $25k to it with the exception of the overall champion which was allocated a premium. Here are the initial investment amounts if you wish to track them yourself but we’ll do the work for you and revisit the performance throughout the year:
|Name||Symbol||Last price||Shares||Cost basis|
|iShares S&P 500 Index (ETF)||IVV||187.51||267.07||50000|
|Ford Motor Company||F||15.4||3263.71||50000|
|Costco Wholesale Corporation||COST||113.15||442.28||50000|
|Weight Watchers International, Inc.||WTW||19.72||2520.16||50000|
|Vanguard Index Funds||VB||112.78||444.88||50000|
|The Medicines Company||MDCO||29.21||1723.54||50000|
|Clean Energy Fuels Corp||CLNE||8.83||5643.34||50000|
|PowerShares Emerging Markets Sovere(ETF)||PCY||27.54||1816.86||50000|
|iShares Silver Trust (ETF)||SLV||19.19||2590.67||50000|
|Vanguard Total Bond Market ETF||BND||81.06||616.75||50000|
|ProShares UltraShort Lehman 20+ Yr(ETF)||TBT||67.94||737.35||50000|
|Rio Tinto plc (ADR)||RIO||52.99||949.13||50000|
|iShares MSCI Japan ETF||EWJ||10.98||4566.21||50000|
|Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US ETF||VEU||49.13||1020.2||50000|
|Telefonica S.A. (ADR)||TEF||15.44||3250.98||50000|
|Market Vector Russia ETF Trust||RSX||22.42||3351.21||75000|
|Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria SA (ADR)||BBVA||11.97||6291.95||75000|
|Smith & Nephew plc (ADR)||SNN||75.59||992.59||75000|
|Total SA (ADR)||TOT||63.99||1175.92||75000|
|iShares Barclays TIPS Bond Fund (ETF)||TIP||111.94||669.88||75000|
|iShares IBoxx $ Invest Grade Corp Bd Fd||LQD||116.59||643.34||75000|
|Direxion Indexed Managed Futures Strategy Fund||DXMIX||35.46||2115.06||75000|
|Senior Housing Properties Trust||SNH||22.05||3412.19||75000|
|Under Armour Inc||UA||117.87||641.41||75000|
|Vanguard Mid-Cap ETF||VO||112.85||665.6||75000|
|Spirit Airlines Incorporated||SAVE||60.18||1262.2||75000|
|Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF||VYM||62.15||1207.54||75000|
|Vanguard REIT ETF||VNQ||69.84||1074.19||75000|
|The Walt Disney Company||DIS||79.77||1252.19||100000|
|First Solar, Inc.||FSLR||74.48||1344.99||100000|
|WhiteWave Foods Co||WWAV||28.55||3517.41||100000|
|Market Vectors Africa (ETF)||AFK||31.22||3203.07||100000|
|Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets ETF||VWO||39.03||2558.2||100000|
|SPDR Barclays Capital High Yield Bnd ETF||JNK||41.19||2428.36||100000|
|SPDR Gold Trust (ETF)||GLD||126.15||791.26||100000|
|iShares MSCI Mexico Inv. Mt. Idx. (ETF)||EWW||62.8||1989.18||125000|
|Active Fixed Income||10.26||12183.24||125000|
|J2 Global Inc||JCOM||48.34||2582.11||125000|
|Constellation Brands, Inc.||STZ||81.54||1536.38||125000|
|Synta Pharmaceuticals Corp.||SNTA||4.65||32537.96||150000|
|LS Opportunity Fund||LSOFX||12.84||11682.24||150000|
|Tesla Motors Inc||TSLA||221.28||801.76||175000|
|Total Invested in 2014 March Madness Investing Bracket||$4,000,000|
(2) We are also taking requests for stocks or investments from our fans. If you have a
company that you want to have us consider for next year simply email it to us at email@example.com with the subject heading of “March Madness 2015”.